Japanese nursing students take part in American culture

Nursing students from Osaka, Japan, visited EC Sept. 23 to see how American schooling and culture compares to their own.

The students participated in a treasure hunt where they traveled around campus and visited the Common Grounds, the North Gym, the Student Activities Center, and the President’s Office.

“It was very interesting how open the campus was compared to our school in Japan,” Yukiko Tokuyama, IS Nursing College student, said.

Tokuyama also said she wanted to learn “the differences in (the) medical field between Japan and the United States” and that she has seen “different kinds of students at EC struggling to get to their goals” through the student ambassadors.

“I wish to know the differences between Japan and America in terms of medication and learning throughout this experience,” Tokuyama said, as she summarized the whole experience as “an inspiration.”

The students are also sightseeing while in California, as they went on a three-day trip to Catalina Island before they came to EC.

EC student ambassadors led groups of five to seven Japanese students around campus on the scavenger hunt.

“Getting to know the Japanese students and who they are is the best part of this job,” Miwa Sasada, 19, nursing major and student ambassador, said.

Sasada added there were places at EC that she was not aware of. “I felt that I need to know more about this campus,” Sasada said.

Daniel Shrader, associate dean of industry and technology, is responsible for this event. Shrader said the event has been going on for 12 years.

EC and IS Nursing College have a sister school relationship, which is the reason this special event happened, he added.

Shrader said there are plans to continue these events, adding it’s good for both EC and IS Nursing students.

Shrader believes that in a case of “catastrophic events,” teams work together and these events set up members from different countries to have understandings of cultures.

“EC and I are open to extend these relations to other cities and countries,” Shrader said.

Shrader said it is “wonderful that people bridge the gaps and get along together” through these interactions of different populations.

During the event, Shrader pointed out a group of EC student ambassadors at the dining hall singing a Spanish song accompanied with Japanese students clapping along to the rhythm.

“Bridging of culture, bringing each other their food, and sharing the experience between them and the ambassadors here is just amazing,” Shrader said.