Statewide earthquake drill prepares campuses for the big shake

EC will be taking part in the Great California Shakeout, the largest event of its kind, Oct. 16 at 10:16 a.m.

Thousands of schools across California will be participating in this drill at the same exact time. The purpose of the drill is to prepare both students and faculty for the event of an earthquake and its following evacuation.

But, outside of the drill, is EC really prepared?

EC’s preparedness is determined by the school’s proximity to the epicenter of the earthquake and the strength or magnitude of the earthquake, Rocky Bonura, director of business services, said.

Along with business services, Bonura is also responsible for safety and health as well as emergency preparedness.

“From what we have experienced all these years, we have been well prepared. However, in places like Northridge, where they are right at the center, it is difficult to determine how prepared you are,” Bonura said. “You know, you prepare for the worst, but when it happens, you just have to respond as best as you can.”

There is not one place on campus that is safer than the next, Bonura said.

There are more inherent hazards in some buildings than in others. For instance, buildings with glass facades, such as the MBA Building are more hazardous than the traditional concrete and brick buildings, he added.

Another example of a hazardous building would be the Chemistry Building due to the glassware and chemicals that could be released if containers are broken.

EC’s police department is able and ready to deal with an earthquake as well. In addition to responding to any emergencies and aiding in search and rescue efforts, in the event of a big temblor, the police department will try to keep the evacuation process as orderly as possible.

“I certainly understand people want to leave and we will try to get everybody out as orderly as we can,” EC Police Chief Michael Trevis said. “However, just bear in mind that if it is a massive earthquake, some of these things take time depending on the damage in the roadway, depending on gas pipes, and depending on water pipes and water mains breaking.”

However, students do not seem so confident in the ability of the California Shakeout to totally prepare everybody.

“My biggest concern is that they would not manage the situation during and after an earthquake,” Mario Colbert, 27, business major, said. “Specifically, although they have drills and are prepared in a sense, they are not prepared for the panic. My biggest fear is the panic.”