FIRST THINGS FIRST

Sweaty palms, light-headedness, the overwhelming feeling to vomit: these are all symptoms of first day jitters. However, students on campus have many resources at their disposal to help them through their first month of classes.
“It’s so important that students utilize the resources (on campus), because of the budget situation. It’s been getting tight and competitive, so people have to be more informed,” Sue Oda-Omori, Transfer Center coordinator, said.
Omori said the Center, located in the Student Services Building, provides students with information on transferring to a four-year institution. They also offer a wide range of activities such as university workshops and tours.
If students are looking for Financial Aid, then go to the Student Services Building second floor where the Financial Aid office is located. Financial Aid helps students with their education by providing grants and scholarships that do not have to be paid back. You need to apply on www.federalstudentsaid.ed.gov.
Students should also know that in the Student Development Office they can obtain their Auxiliary Services Benefits sticker, more commonly known as the ASB sticker. It can also be bought at the Student Development Office, Marsee Auditorium ticket office or the cashier windows.
“ASB is similar to Triple A, it gives discounts to almost everywhere like Wasabi or Wingstop and carries discounts for theme parks such as Six Flags and Disneyland,” Lawerence Moreno, ASB coordinator, said.
At only $10 per sticker, it carries many more benefits including on-campus discounts such as some free drama and fine arts shows at discounted prices. Home regular sports games are free to attend with the card. Purchasing the sticker, Moreno said ,supports all campus clubs as all proceeds go toward them.
“All money we make goes into extra curricular funds that are advantageous to students,” Moreno said.
The Activities Center West Lounge allows an open area for eating and lounging events such as playing games. Students can also pick up the correct forms to start a club or an event.
“It is a good outlet for students because at least you can bring your friends and food here and get a release,” Harold Tyler, director of student development, said.
Student can also visit the Activities Center when acquiring a student identification card.
The Student Activities Center is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
Tyler said the goal is that student development offices want to make sure that someone will always be there to answer questions including, him.
“I keep an open door policy, I’m here and students can come talk to me,” Tyler said.
Located in the Student Development Office is the Associated Students Organization office also known as ASO, led by President Jessica Lopez.
The goal of ASO is to bring students together by representing the students. They host meetings that are open to the public.
ASO minutes are available on the website and in the Student Development Office.