No professor can mend a broken heart

A student walks into the class and remembers her late-night breakup with her now ex-boyfriend. She sees him in the class sitting in his usual seat and feels all the emotions of the breakup return. It’s then when she regrets taking a class with him and hopes the end of the semester will come quickly.
Sitting in on classes, joining clubs and just walking around school are some of the places where cupid works on campus. Having a common interest like pursuing an education is one of the first steps to a healthy relationship.
“It is natural for students to meet in college or the place of business,” Rosemary Swade, speech communications professor, said. “This means that they have common interests and goals.”
Some of these couples like to take classes together, and Kayla Vidal, 20, broadcast communication major, believes the relationship itself determines whether students should take classes together.
“If the relationship is healthy, then having your significant other in class could be positive reinforcement,” Vidal said. “If the relationship is an immature one, rooted by lust, then obviously the students will be distracted.”
The inevitable question to ask is what to do about the end of the relationship. They are no longer seeing each other but they have no choice but to continue attending class.
“It would be an awkward situation, but it is something that has to be dealt with,” David Westfall, 22, art history and photography major, said. “I would prepare myself and not allow a relationship to affect my grade.”
Students like Brittney Venegas, 19, computer science major, said that taking a class with a boyfriend is a bad idea since future situations can not be predicted and going through a breakup and seeing one’s ex in class can be disruptive.
One thing to remember, Swade said, is to be kind, considerate and clear at the end of a relationship.
“To avoid sending mixed signals to one another, end the relationship in one fell swoop,” Swade said. “Give yourself a clean break to heal.”
Having two students in a classroom with heavy emotions can make it difficult to concentrate, Venegas said. However, it is also important for students to remember to keep things professional.
According to Josh Tuliano from Associatedcontent.com, the time it takes for one to mend broken hearts is different for each person and each relationship. Students all handle break ups differently, and the nature of the relationship itself could alter a person’s behavior
“I would make an effort to be as amicable as possible,” Vidal said. “It is my personal choice, in general, not to take a class together in a new, fresh relationship.”
In a new relationship, delaying instant gratification is one tip to a healthy relationship, Swade said. Holding out for real love and intimacy leaves room for a better connection between the two individuals.
“Sometimes it’s hard to separate your head from your heart when it comes to college because you think a relationship will be forever, when in reality the option of breaking up is more obvious than most imagine,” Venegas said.
Most students realize they shouldn’t be taking relationships too far by getting ahead of themselves, Venegas said. Sometimes one person may not be on the same page as the other.
Some students realize deciding between school and relationships is a big deal.
“Making decisions should always come from a reasonable standpoint and not based on emotion,” Venegas said.