Time to part or time to think Twice

Exotic drinks, skimpy bikinis and wild parties can lead students to sex, rape or STDs. These are just a few of the high and low points of spring break.
“Spring break is like a wild thing; people don’t care, they just drink, have fun and don’t think about things,” Vivian Martinez, 18, administration of justice major, said.
Spring break is just another excuse for students to party, Sommer Murphy, 19, psychology major, said.
“I think students are more willing to put out on spring break,” Murphy said.
Students, in general, become more careless during Spring Break, Heather Guthmiller, 20, communications major, said.
“I think that people do put out, and if they don’t know their limits and if they drink, there is going to be a lot of sex going on with strangers, because it’s spring break and students are out of school,” Martinez said.
During spring break there is going to be a lot of people who are single out there partying at clubs finding other people to have sex with at beaches or at the clubs, Martinez said.
“I think sex increases during Spring Break because people are just drinking and having fun,” Martinez said.
“Students did a survey themselves and almost a quarter of them said they were too drunk to remember if they had sex or not; so statistics are too high,” Professor Traci Granger, health sciences, said.
As compared to the regular school year, the possibility of rape increases during spring break due to all of the other factors that come with a break, Granger said.
“More than 700,000 students a year between the ages of 18 and 25 are assaulted by someone else who has been drinking,” Granger said.
“Basically to prevent being raped or taken advantage of you should not drink that much and make sure you are with friends and know your alcohol limits,” Murphy said.
The National Institute of Health showed in a study that a number of students between the ages of 18 to 25 are drinking and the majority of them don’t even know what they did because they got so drunk, Granger said.
“According to www.youngadults.about.com, 70 percent of college students said they had unplanned sex that they wouldn’t have had because they were drinking,” Granger said.
In order to prevent pregnancy one should use protection, try to control their alcohol consumption and be aware of their surroundings, especially when he or she are around strangers, Guthmiller said.
“I don’t think that students are using as much contraception during spring break because they are just careless and trying to have fun,” Guthmiller said.
By using protection, students can prevent STDs and unplanned preganancies, Michael Jackson, 22, music and film major, said. This break will bring in a good amount of temptation.
“When people are not using contraception it’s because they are being dumb. But most of the time, people are using contraception because they don’t want to have children,” Jackson said.
“Students can prevent regrettable decisions by taking precautions, being responsible, using protection and being careful with who they drink around,” Guthmiller said.
“I think 50 percent or more people are just going to let loose, and they’re just going to let what happens, happen,” Martinez said.