Chuman, cell phone laws

Violators of the cellular phone law face penalties of $142 when caught texting or calling, Chad Farley, Torrance Police community affairs officer, said.

In July 2008, new laws were established to ban hand-held cellular phone usage while driving a motor vehicle. The only exception to this rule is a wireless, hands-free device, such as Bluetooth, Farley said.

“Putting the cell phone on speakerphone does not count as hands-free,” Farley said. The hands-free device exception is only available to persons over the age of 18.

The law states that all drivers are prohibited from driving a motor vehicle while using a wireless phone, Farley said. And this includes texting.

“I agree with prohibiting texting while driving but talking on the phone shouldn’t affect people too much,” Evyn Blair, 20, Communication major, said.

Violators of this law have been all over the board, but the group most common for texting while driving is the younger people, Farley said. But overall, this law affects everyone.

“Distracted driving is the largest cause for motor vehicle accidents,” Farley, motor vehicle officer of 3 years, said. “Distracted driving is similar in many ways to driving while intoxicated.”

Witnessing first hand more than hundreds of motor vehicle accidents due to distracted driving, the effect of the accident on both the people involved and their families is enough to think twice, Farley said. Not to mention the fees violators must pay.

According to the wireless phone law, the first violation will result in a $20 fine, and $50 every time after.

“It’s not usually just the $20 fine, they charge you with other fees too,” Blair said. Many people do not know that a traffic violation not only results in a fine, but they are also responsible to pay the administrative fees.

“The administrative fees also include the fees for court as well,” Farley said. After the fees are included the total comes to $142.

Every city has a different way to enforce this law, Farley said. In Torrance, police officers have already conducted two special operations to educate drivers on the hazards of talking and texting while driving.

During the operation on Feb. 3, Torrance Police officers cited any motorists using their cellular phone driving down Hawthorne Boulevard, between Carson and 230 Street. This operation was 70 minutes long, and 36 violators were fined.

“This law has made me more alert to my surroundings,” Brian Crist, 19, Music major, said. “I think maybe they should make a test to allow certain people the privilege of phone usage while driving because some people’s jobs and lives require it.”

The only exception to this law is in the case of an emergency situation, Farley said. For example, to call the law enforcement, health care provider, and fire department.

“It is inconvenient, and it does upset people, but just like the seatbelt law, it takes time to get used to,” Farley said. “In the end it will save lives, and then it is well worth the inconvenience.”